DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The NYCC Progressive Caucus is seeking an intern for Fall 2018 with an interest in public service, city government, legislation, and public policy. The internship is an excellent opportunity to learn about the inside workings of city government and gain hands on experience working in politics, legislative organizing, and policy formation. The Progressive Caucus intern will support the Director in furthering local policy and legislation, planning and executing advocacy campaigns and events, and assisting with communications projects related to media relations, social media, and website development, as well as office management tasks such as scheduling and follow up.
Responsibilities and duties include:
- Research status of bills on the Caucus’ policy platform for the current and next council session
- Follow key issues relevant to local and national and develop communication strategies
- Assist in planning advocacy campaigns and events related to policy platform and key issues
- Draft public advocacy letters, press releases, talking points, content for website, and email blasts
- Staff press conferences and public events, taking photos and doing live social media
- Assist with event and meeting scheduling for Council Members, and coordinate regularly between members’ offices on shared priorities
- Aid in the planning of rallies, advocacy events, Caucus conferences, and meetings
Intern must be a self-starter and ability to work with little supervision. Intern must have excellent oral and written communication skills, strong organizational skills, and the ability to oversee several projects at once. Students currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate studies in policy, political science, public administration, or other fields related to government and politics are encouraged to apply. All internships are unpaid, but academic credit can be arranged. The hourly commitment and start and end dates are flexible, but at least 15 hours per week is recommended.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to Zara Nasir, Director of Progressive Caucus (firstname.lastname@example.org). While we appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
THE NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER